Job Posting: Technology Program Mentor
Note: This is a volunteer position. No financial compensation is offered.
The Local Charity is a volunteer-run Canadian registered non-profit charity based in Toronto devoted to breaking the cycle of poverty. Our mission is to enable and inspire individuals to reach their greatest potential. Our goal is to empower them to be the author of their own story.
Our approach is through improving access to technology & education for vulnerable youths in our local community, as well as promote mental wellness and emotional intelligence.
We are a lean operation run entirely by volunteers with minimal overhead expenses.
We are looking for 9 mentors to develop the technical content for this program, we have a dedicated Education Program Director that specialize in education to help design the framework of the program as well as Lead Co-Instructors to deliver the program.
The program will showcase 9 different streams of career path related to technology, around module 4, participants will select the stream they want to specialize in learning, this is where the mentor gets more involved.
Together with your Education Program Director, you will develop the content for the program and run the beta test (a condensed version in 2020) for a small group of participants and run the program in 2021. You will take the lead role on mapping out skillsets mentees should focus on and develop in working toward developing a career in your field. The goal is to help develop an e-portfolio, gain insight about your role, and gain confidence. This program is still in development, and we acknowledge there isn’t a one solution fit all framework.
Our ideal candidate is a team-spirited, skilled and subject matter expert in their domain related to technology. If you can grasp project requirements quickly and offer valuable insight, we’d like to talk to you.
- Enable participants to learn about different career paths related to technology and identify the one that best fit them
- Enable participants to learn the technical skills and build higher self-confidence/self-awareness to enter into that field
- Empower participant to research and self-learn the necessary skill sets they need to reach their goal
- Provide educational workshops that develops tangible skill sets & soft skills (such as critical thinking) that prepares them for that career path
- Believing in our cause is mandatory 🙂
- Vision to inspire and lead our local community to be charitable, be kind to one another (be it via The Local Charity or other avenue).
- Potential area of specialization includes: Software, Systems, Network, Datacenter, Cyber Security, Cloud, Project Management, and Consulting
- Proactive, resourceful, creative, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Possess practical skill set for today’s workforce and ability to teach it
- Comfortable presenting to students with various learning style
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Decision making ability
- Co-create program syllabus and content along with Co-Instructors and Education Program Director
- Co-lead the beta program (in 2020) and the full program (in 2021)
- Provide feedback to the team to revise the program to
- Assist participants to close the gap to gainful employment in a career related to technology
*Clearance of vulnerable sector background check with the police via our agency is required
Qualified candidates should apply via email to Laney at email@example.com
Application deadline is September 30, 2020.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.