Job Posting: Success Academy Instructor OR Workshop Leaders
Note: This is a volunteer position. No financial compensation is offered.
The Local Charity is a volunteer-run Canadian registered non-profit charity based in Toronto devoted to breaking the cycle of poverty. Our mission is to enable and inspire individuals to reach their greatest potential. Our goal is to empower them to be the author of their own story.
Our approach is through improving access to technology & education for vulnerable youths in our local community. We partner mostly with youth shelters in our local community (Greater Toronto Area).
The Local Charity has an educational program (Success Academy) where we offer workshops on tangible skills based on the interest and requests from the youth. On top of matching an instructor that has the skills and talent to share their knowledge on that topic, we also have workshop leaders (think of them as teacher assistant) that reaches out to the student/youth before and after the workshop to ensure we make an impact.
Before the workshop to ensure they complete any pre-workshop homework (if any), ask them questions such as why there are interested in this topic, what they hope to get out of the workshop, etc. After the workshop to reach out and continue to offer support and hold them accountable to the goals that they’ve set out for themselves.
More information on Success Academy at https://thelocalcharity.com/the-solution/.
- Offer educational workshops for the clients at our partner’s organization (mostly youth shelters)
- Provide educational workshops that develops tangible skill sets that prepares them for the workforce
- Provide guidance and support to youth on a one-to-one basis
- Believing in our cause is mandatory 🙂
- Vision to inspire and lead our local community to be charitable, be kind to one another (be it via The Local Charity or other avenue).
- Familiarity in adult education, with a focus on tangible skills
- Proactive, resourceful, creative, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Collaborate with our Education Program Director to curate program syllabus
- Instructor: Conduct workshop at our partner shelter’s venue
- Workshop Leader: Engage with youth enrolled in the workshop to maximize impact
Becoming a Success Academy Instructor or Workshop Leader is simple:
- Fill out the online application, which should take approximately 10 minutes.
- If selected for training, obtain and successfully get a Vulnerable Sector check (don’t worry, we will tell you how to do this)
- Complete the 5-hour training (of which 1.5 hour would be in-person)
- Take your first shift and start supporting young people in our local community.
Once we review the applications, we’ll contact everything we think will be a great fit as an instructor or workshop leader. If you are selected, we will contact you directly to walk you through the process.
The successful candidate will have the following qualities:
- Possess practical skill set for today’s workforce and ability to teach it
- Comfortable presenting to students with various learning style
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Decision making ability
Becoming a Success Academy Staff FAQ:
What are the requirements for becoming an Instructor or Workshop Leader?
– Obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with results that are satisfactory to The Local Charity
– Be at least the age of majority in the province of Ontario
– Commit to volunteering for at least 4 workshops in a year
– Sign our Success Academy Volunteer Agreement
– Complete and pass the 5 hour training program
How much time commitment is required?
5 hours of training time, of which 1.5 will be in-person.
For each workshop leaders, you will be paired with up to 4 youth, you’ll be in contact with them around twice pre-workshop and twice post-workshop for 15-30 minutes per engagement, plus the workshop itself which ranges between 2-4 hours depending on the workshop. You are looking at 6-12 hours over the span of one month.
Who should become a Workshop Leader?
Our workshop leaders need to believe in the youth’s potential (even if they don’t believe in themselves, yet!). You should be genuine, kind, and committed to be a change maker (Don’t worry, we will empower you with tools to develop those skills).
What is the role of the Workshop Leader?
The workshop is a channel to make the connection through something they have shown interest in and could be an area they build on. The role of the workshop leader is to inspire the youth, guide them to visualize a life/future they get excited about (it may not happen with every youth, and that’s okay). In the training, there will be a repertoire of tools to use to uncover these dialogues.
*Clearance of vulnerable sector background check with the police via our agency is required
Qualified candidates should apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote “Success Academy Instructor” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.